What image comes to mind when you read the words plumbing emergency? It probably involves a whole lot of water, maybe gushing dramatically from a broken pipe. And of course, that would definitely constitute a plumbing emergency. But you might need a plumber in a hurry even if your problem doesn’t quite look like that.
It’s understandable that you might hesitate when trying to determine how serious your plumbing problem is. We’d like to give you some pointers on how to decide whether you’ve got an actual plumbing emergency on your hands.
Questions to Ask About Your Plumbing Problem
Before you decide you need emergency plumbing in Pelham, AL, ask yourself these questions.
- Is This Fixture Essential? If you’ve got an unusable toilet, it’s only essential if it’s your only toilet. If you’ve got other options, maybe you could wait until morning and get a regular appointment.
- Is Damage Being Caused? A drippy sink is a bother, and wastes water, but it won’t damage your home. A pipe leaking into a wall can cause major devastation to your sheetrock overnight.
- Can the Water Be Shut Off? Most fixtures and appliances have their own shut-off valves. Simply locate it and turn it clockwise. If this can prevent damage until normal business hours, your problem can wait.
- Could There Be Another Solution? If you’ve got a problem that might be beyond your own home’s plumbing, such as a lack of water pressure or complete lack of water, check with your neighbors or your municipal water department. It could be that you don’t need a plumber at all.
- Is There a Foul Odor? There are two problems which cause very unpleasant smells and require a plumber urgently. The first is sewer gas being improperly vented into your home through your drains due to a blocked vent. The other is a leak from a natural gas line, which would cause an eggy odor. Yes, plumbers repair gas lines—they’re very much like water pipes.
- Is This a Personal Emergency? If it matters deeply to you, it matters to us, and we’re happy to consider it an emergency. This is often the case when something precious has gone down a drain. Whether it’s an heirloom piece of jewelry or a child’s lost tooth, stop using that drain, put a sign in place so no one will turn the water on, and reach out to us for emergency plumbing services.
- How Concerned Are You? If it’s worth it to you to get the problem addressed right away, don’t hesitate. You don’t need to lose a night’s sleep worrying that your plumbing issue will worsen overnight and cause damage to your home. Sometimes, an emergency plumber is worth it for your peace of mind.
Prevent Plumbing Emergencies
The best way to prevent urgent situations where repairs are needed is to have routine maintenance done. This might be a familiar idea for appliances like your furnace, but it’s a good idea for your home plumbing system, too. A qualified plumber can assess the condition of your plumbing, make recommendations, and even do a preventative drain cleaning.
“Your experience is what matters most!” Contact Douglas Cooling & Heating today for help with all your plumbing needs.