Heating Services in Birmingham, AL
Birmingham may not be the coldest place in the country during the winter, but that doesn’t mean that you want to try to make it through the cold season without a home heating system. Closing all of your windows and bundling up in your living room is a poor substitute for having a quality furnace, heat pump or hybrid heating system.
That’s why Douglas Cooling & Heating offers a full range of home heating services throughout Birmingham, AL. If you need a home heating system installed, repaired, maintained, or replaced, call us today and set up an appointment. We’ll make sure that no matter what your home heating needs are, you stay warm and comfortable throughout the winter.
Douglas Cooling & Heating provides comprehensive heating systems and services throughout Birmingham, AL.
Which Home Heating System Is Right for You?
For someone just looking into the home heating market, or getting back into it after a long absence, the sheer number of options can be overwhelming. Do you want a gas or electric system? Combustion or heat pump? Ducts or ductless? Are you considering a hybrid heating system?
All of these choices can have a dramatic effect on your home heating system’s efficiency and how comfortable it can make you. Fortunately, you don’t have to navigate the crowded field by yourself. If you need help selecting a home heating system, we’re here for you. Give us a call, and our heating experts will help walk you through the entire process.
How to Extend the Life of Your Heating System
There are two main things that you can do to ensure that your heating system lives as long and healthy a life as possible. First, make sure to schedule annual maintenance. Annual maintenance allows your heating technician to closely examine your system, detecting problems that may not have progressed far enough to give off warning signs yet. These problems can then be fixed before they cause damage to your system.
The second thing you need to do to ensure that your heating system lasts as long as possible is to call for prompt repairs. Heating system issues get progressively worse the longer they are allowed to develop. If you notice any sort of strange behavior coming from your heating system, call for repairs immediately to limit the damage as much as possible. We always seem to get the question, "How do I know I need a repair?" Aside from the obvious, such as your heater isn’t blowing hot air, it is not always very apparent. But a few warning signs to look out for are:
- High energy bill: If your system has become inefficient or something is broken, your energy bill may bear the brunt of that and cost you much more than it should.
- Thermostat is incorrect: If your thermostat is reading a comfortable temperature, but you know it isn’t right, there could be an electrical or a sensor issue.
- System erratically turns off and on: Similar to the previous point, it could be a sensor issue which is incorrectly alerting the system that the room is the proper temperature. But it could also be a mechanical issue.
Some of the other home heating services we specialize in include:
- Hybrid Heating System – A hybrid heating dual fuel system combines the power of a furnace with a traditional electric heat pump to deliver exceptional heating at an economical price. Hybrid heating systems are a popular choice in the Birmingham, AL area, due to their exceptional performance and efficiency. A hybrid heating system will automatically select the most economical fuel source - gas or electric - to heat your home with unparalleled efficiency. If you are interested in learning more about the versatility that a hybrid heating system offers, contact one of our HVAC experts today. Whether you’re interested in installing a hybrid heating system or you need professional repair and/or maintenance, we’ve got you covered.
- Communicating Technology Services (aka Remote Control Access) – Up until fairly recently, most of the appliances in the average home operated independently of each other. Heating and cooling systems may have operated off the same thermostat, but they didn’t communicate with each other at all. That’s all changed with the advent of communicating technology. Douglas Cooling & Heating is a proud dealer of Bryant Evolution Series Communicating Equipment. With this technology, you can link your climate control systems to your smart phone. No matter where you are, you can make sure that your home is at the ideal temperature for you when you get there. Call for more information.
- Ductless System Services – Ductless systems are heat pumps that eschew ducts in favor of individual air handlers. One air handler is installed in each room of the house, and up to four air handlers are connected to a single outdoor unit by refrigerant and power lines. The outside unit evaporates refrigerant to absorb heat from the surrounding air, then sends it inside to heat the home. Ductless systems can also reverse their refrigerant flows to act as air conditioners as well as heaters.
- Fireplace Services – Despite advances in modern heating technology, fireplaces are still used in homes across the country. This is due to their comforting aesthetic, as well as their effectiveness in single–room heating. If you want to make your home a little cozier, a fireplace is a great way to do it. We install and service fireplaces throughout Birmingham, AL.
- Furnace Services – Furnaces remain at the top of the home heating market in terms of popularity. They’re affordable, effective, and can work in just about any home environment. If you have a need for a new home heating system, we can almost certainly find a furnace that will work for you. We install, maintain, repair, and replace furnaces of all kinds.
- Gas Piping Services – If you want to use natural gas appliances in your home, like most furnaces or stoves, you’re going to need gas piping installed. Without a natural gas line, those appliances will have nothing to combust to generate heat. Installing a gas line is dangerous work if you don’t know what you’re doing, and most cities have made it illegal to perform it without proper certification anyway. If you need gas piping done in your home, give us a call.
- Geothermal Heating and Cooling Services – Geothermal systems are heat pumps, but ones that use subterranean thermal energy rather than thermal energy drawn from the air. A geothermal heat pump uses a buried pipe loop, filled with water, which is located around 30 feet underground. At that depth, the temperature hovers between 55°F and 60°F, regardless of the temperature above ground. This means that no matter how cold the air is outside, the geothermal heat pump always has access to the same amount of thermal energy to heat the home. We install and service geothermal heating systems.
- Heat Pump Services – Heat pumps are constructed like air conditioners, but with the added ability to change the direction that refrigerant flows through their systems. This means that a heat pump can act as a heater as well as an air conditioner, by evaporating refrigerant to absorb heat from outside the home and releasing it inside. If you’re looking to cut down on climate control operating costs this year, a heat pump is a great way to do it.
- Packaged HVAC Unit Services – Most people across the country use split units for climate control, for a variety of reasons. Using a split system requires a fair amount of space, though, and that’s not always an option for some homeowners. In cases like those, a packaged HVAC unit is often the best solution. We install and service a wide range of packaged HVAC units throughout the Birmingham area.
- Thermostat Services – You could have the best climate control system in the world, and it wouldn’t be very effective without a quality thermostat to control it. The thermostat is the core of any climate control system. So it’s a good idea to make sure that yours is kept in good repair. That’s why we offer a full range of thermostat services, from installation to repair and maintenance.
- Zone Control System Services – Centralized forced air climate control systems are typically unable to change their output levels for different rooms in the home. This leads to a lot of wasted energy, either on rooms that don’t need further conditioning or rooms that aren’t even occupied. Zone control systems split your home’s ducts into different zones, each of which can be controlled by a separate thermostat.
- Commercial and Industrial Heating Services – Residential buildings are not the only ones that require quality heating systems. Commercial and industrial properties can serve hundreds or even thousands of people at once. Keeping that many people comfortable during the winter is a tall order, and you’re going to need a robust system to do it. Douglas Cooling & Heating offers a full range of commercial and industrial heating services.