Check Out The New 2023 Tax Credits & Rebates! Read More

Skip navigation

Douglas Cooling & Heating Blog

How Carbon Monoxide Detectors can Save Your Life

When you think about possible threats to your health and safety in your home, you probably think about things like fire or gas leaks. While it’s a good idea to be prepared for those kinds of things, you should also make sure that you have some carbon monoxide detectors in place. Carbon monoxide is a deadly threat that is incredibly difficult to detect, making it all the more important to properly prepare. Read on to find out more about carbon monoxide, and carbon monoxide detectors.

What is Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon monoxide is a gas produced by burning certain kinds of fuel, including natural gas. Most systems that burn natural gas have parts in place to allow for the safe disposal of it. However, those parts can fail on occasion. Carbon monoxide is odorless, tasteless, and invisible, making it completely undetectable to human senses. The only way to naturally detect whether you have been exposed to carbon monoxide is to start feeling the effects, which is incredibly dangerous.

Carbon monoxide binds to the oxygen receptors in a person’s blood, preventing their body from getting the oxygen it needs. If the exposure to the gas is high enough, a person will eventually suffocate. Carbon monoxide poisoning can also cause other symptoms before reaching fatal levels, including nausea, vomiting, headaches, dizziness, and feeling faint.

Carbon Monoxide Detectors

A carbon monoxide detector works just like a smoke detector, monitoring your air for traces of carbon monoxide particles. When the detector detects dangerous levels of the gas, it will give off a loud alarm to warn anyone in the house. You should have multiple detectors installed at different points around your home, in order to keep yourself properly protected.

Douglas Cooling & Heating offers carbon monoxide detector services throughout Jefferson County, AL. Call us today to schedule an appointment.

Comments are closed.