It’s movie night for the family and everybody is settling in to enjoy a good film. The issue is none of you are able to hear anything going on in the movie over the racket that the air conditioner is making.
You shouldn’t have to choose between being comfortable and enjoying time inside your home without an abundance of noise. An air conditioner that is making excessive noise is essentially one that is crying out for help. Those noises aren’t normal–they’re an indicator that your system needs professional air conditioning repair in Birmingham, AL.
Wondering what noises your air conditioner isn’t supposed to make? We’ve provided a list of warning sounds you shouldn’t hear from your system below.
5 Sounds You Don’t Want Your AC to Make
Any foreign sound coming from your home’s cooling system should concern you. Some are a bit more common than others though. Here are five of the most common “problem” noises:
- Hissing: Don’t mistake this for the usual sound of air being pushed into the house. Hissing is going to be an indicator of more than one issue. At the least, hissing may be a symptom of a dirty air filter or dirty vents. At the worst, hissing can be a sign of a refrigerant leak. Check your filter and your vents and then call a technician for further investigation.
- Bubbling: Does it sound like your air conditioner is boiling over? That isn’t normal! Bubbling is a likely indicator that there is a leak in your refrigerant line. The difference between bubbling and hissing as a sign of a leak is due to where the leak is located in your system. Bubbling is created when the leak is in the part of the line where the refrigerant is still in liquid form.
- Squealing or screeching: The sounds of squealing or screeching is rather hard to ignore when Squealing or screeching are usually caused by things like a blower motor belt that needs extra lubrication or a fan blade that has come loose and scraping around the metal housing inside of her system. Whatever the cause you want to get this sound identified and addressed ASAP.
- Rattling: You don’t want it to sound like your air conditioner is shaking around. Rattling is not something to ignore. If anything is an early warning sign of bigger troubles to come because rattling is usually caused by parts within your system that are starting to come loose. Make sure to reach out to a technician about this sound before things get worse.
- Clanging: Last but not least if you hear a clanging noise from your AC, it means there is something within your system that has come loose and fully broken free. When you hear clanging it is usually caused by that part, such as a bolt or screw, bouncing around within your air conditioner. As you can guess, this is going to cause a lot more damage the longer it goes on. If you hear clanging shut your system off and contact a pro to get things repaired.
Hearing something weird when you run your AC? Don’t ignore it! Contact Douglas Heating & Cooling for repairs backed by quality customer care. Your experience is what matters most!