Your air conditioner works hard to create cool air for your home. Or rather, it works hard to pull heat out of your home and distribute the cooled air throughout the house. But your air conditioner isn’t the only part that requires care to get your home comfortable on a hot summer day.
If you have ductwork that isn’t in the best condition, then you should schedule AC duct sealing Birmingham, AL. This service is going to be helpful in stopping up the leaks that would allow your cooled air to escape into areas that aren’t in need of cooling. Here’s what you need to know about the problems created by leaky ductwork so you know why duct sealing is so important.
How Leaking Ductwork Impacts Your Home
Over time, ductwork can develop small holes and splits that allow the air your HVAC system produces to escape into unused areas such as your attic. This may not sound like a huge problem but we can promise you that things add up over time. You may notice some of these issues arising if your ducts develop some leaks.
- Weakened airflow: When you have leaks in your ducts, it means there will be an amount of air that is never able to reach the rooms in your home. This can cause the airflow from the vents to feel weaker than normal. You may notice just one or two vents exhibiting this problem.
- Short cycling air conditioner: Ductwork leaks can also impact the effectiveness of your air conditioner. This issue can negatively impact your home’s comfort so much that the AC starts to wear down or overheat from working so hard, leading to short cycling.
- Hissing or humming noises: As air escapes through the splits or holes in your ductwork, it can cause the material of the ducts to vibrate, creating a humming or buzzing noise that may be detectable from your vents.
- Increased energy bills: Leaky ducts are also going to impact your energy usage too. It will take longer to cool the house, leading to increased energy usage from your AC to try to get the temperature under control.
- Hot and cold spots: Over time, you may notice more distinct temperature differences in the house. These hot and cold spots can be due to leaks in your ductwork that lead to worsening distribution of your temperature-controlled air.
Your ductwork needs to be in the best possible condition in order to provide you with the best possible comfort. You won’t get much help from your AC if the system made to deliver the cool air supply is letting everything escape into your attic! If you start to notice some of the issues we’ve listed above, then it means that you would benefit from having a technician examine your ducts to see if they need to be sealed or repaired.
“Your experience is what matters most!” Contact the experts at Douglas Heating & Air Conditioning to schedule your ductwork services.