What is hydro jetting? What does it do for Birmingham homes and why do homeowners need to schedule this specialized plumbing service?
Our licensed plumbers hear these common questions from our Birmingham, AL area customers all the time. In this blog, we provide a detailed look into what is hydro jetting, how it’s different from other plumbing services and what it does for the home’s plumbing system. Could your home plumbing system benefit from this service? Let’s learn more.
What Is Hydro Jetting?
Hydro jetting is a process used to clean the interiors of plumbing pipes throughout a home plumbing system. High-pressure water flows through the plumbing system and removes build-up inside pipes. This provides a thorough clean and prevents backups by flushing plumbing piping of clogs and potentially damaging materials, including:
- Mineral scale
- Tree roots
What’s the Difference Between Hydro Jetting and Snaking a Drain?
Unlike snaking a drain, hydro jetting has the power to break up tough clogs AND remove materials from interior pipe walls. Plumbing snakes just puncture the clog and help break it apart. Hydro jetting offers a thorough maintenance cleaning of the plumbing pipes to prevent future clogs and more expensive sewer repairs.
Steps in the Hydro Jetting Process
Here’s what occurs when you schedule this service:
1. Your licensed plumber locates the plumbing system cleanout, which gives an easy access point to the piping throughout your home.
2. He or she uses a camera to inspect your plumbing pipes and drain prior to jetting. This step searches for damage within the system, such as cracked or crumbling pipes, which could be worsened by the process.
3. Your plumber inserts the jetting hose downstream into the plumbing lines. This durable hose attaches to a water tank that pressurizes water.
4. Your plumber adjusts the water pressure to appropriate levels for pipe conditions. Hydro jetting typically involves water pressure up to 35,000 psi.
5. Once the high-pressured water begins, the tool moves upstream through the plumbing lines as it scours the interior pipe walls.
6. The tool removes built-up debris from the inside of the pipe walls. Gravity pulls the debris down through the home plumbing system and safely flushes it out of the home.
Demonstration of Hydro Jetting Power
Here is a video showing the power of a hydro jet flow:
Does Hydro Jetting Work on Tree Roots?
The hydro jetting process is commonly used to clear tree root penetrations in underground plumbing pipes. Some extra precautions are required to ensure problem resolution and to protect the integrity of the piping. Always work with a licensed Alabama plumber to protect your home’s plumbing system.
It’s critical to use a sewer line camera to visualize the tree root issue prior to drain cleaning. This video inspection allows your plumber to inspect for damage to the piping. Just like a surgeon preps for surgery, the plumber wants to avoid any surprises. As long as the pipe is not significantly damaged or its waterproof coating compromised, hydro jetting is often a safe and efficient method to break up and remove root penetrations.
In Conclusion: Schedule Plumbing Services and Enjoy Better Water Flow
Clear your pipe system of clog-causing debris with plumbing and sewer services from Douglas Plumbing. Our plumbers take great care to protect the integrity of your plumbing system as they eliminate buildup and clear clogs.
Don’t risk damage to your plumbing system with improper cleaning! Trust our licensed plumbers to thoroughly inspect and safely hydro jet your plumbing pipes. Our plumbers in your area are also available for plumbing repairs like running toilets, leaky pipes and to install fixtures or garbage disposals.
Schedule a licensed plumber for your Birmingham area home today.