Do you ever find yourself running out of hot water in the middle of a shower? Or, maybe you’re washing dishes and your hot water suddenly turns cold. No matter what’s causing it, a water heater running out of hot water can be incredibly frustrating. Douglas Cooling & Heating explains some common reasons for experiencing sudden, insufficient hot water in the home. Keep reading to find out more about potential issues that could be causing your water heater troubles, and learn the signs that it’s time to replace your water heater.
Why Is My Water Heater Running Out of Hot Water So Fast?
There are several common issues that can lead to a water heater running out of hot water quickly. Some of the most common issues include:
- Sediment buildup: Over time, sediment can accumulate in the bottom of the water heater tank. This sediment buildup can restrict heat transfer from the heating element to the water supply, causing your hot water supply to run out quickly. To fix this issue, the water heater tank will need to be drained and flushed to remove the sediment – however, you don’t want to do this if your water heater is older and it’s never been flushed before, as it may open up leaks.
- Leaking tank: If the water heater tank is leaking, it can cause the hot water to be lost before it reaches the faucets. This can be why you notice the water heater running out of hot water quickly. To fix this issue, typically the water heater tank will need to be replaced by a qualified plumber.
- Faulty thermostat: The thermostat on a water heater is responsible to maintain constant water temperature in your water tank. If the thermostat is not functioning properly, the unit may not heat enough water, which can explain why your hot water supply dwindles so fast. To fix this issue, the thermostat will need to be repaired or replaced by a plumber.
- Incorrect size: If the water heater is not the correct size for your home, it may not be able to provide enough hot water to meet your needs. This can cause the water heater to run out of hot water quickly. To fix this issue, you need to upgrade to a larger water heater or supplement your current water heater with a tankless water heater.
- High demand: If there are multiple people using hot water at the same time, it can put a strain on the water heater and cause it to run out of hot water quickly. In this case, you may need to upgrade to a larger water heater to meet your hot water needs.
Overall, if you are experiencing issues with your water heater running out of hot water quickly, it is best to contact a qualified plumber to diagnose and repair the problem. Attempting to fix the issue yourself can be dangerous and may result in further damage to the water heater.
Signs It’s Time for Water Heater Replacement
In addition to not having enough heated water when you need it, there are several additional signs that it may be time to replace your water heater. These include:
- Age: Most water heaters have a lifespan of about 8-12 years. As your water heater ages, you’ll notice more frequent performance issues. When you’ve had enough of cold showers, talk to a plumber about replacing your water heater.
- Rusty water: If the water from your faucets is rusty or has a metallic taste, it may be a sign that the water heater tank is rusting and needs to be replaced.
- Leaks: If the water heater is leaking, it can cause significant damage to your home. Replacement is necessary to avoid this damage.
- Insufficient hot water: If the water heater is not able to provide enough hot water to meet your needs, it may be time to upgrade to a larger water heater, or add tankless water heaters around your home to limit the strain on your current water heater.
- High energy bills: If your energy bills have been steadily increasing without clear reason, it may be a sign that your water heater is becoming less efficient and may need to be replaced.
Water Heater Repair & Replacement Services from Douglas Cooling & Heating
When a nice hot shower is interrupted by a stream of cold water, it can be jarring. If you’ve had enough water heater issues, then it’s time to replace your system. Most of the time it’s a lack of hot water is due to one of the reasons we listed above. Douglas Cooling & Heating is here to help. We have a team of experienced professionals who can repair or replace your water heater in no time. Give us a call today and let us take care of all your water heater needs!